Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Make your own embellishments!

Hiya Viva followers!! I am a huge fan of making my own embellishments; whether it's alphas, shapes, epoxy brads, rosettes... etc. etc! and today I'd like to share with you a huge rosette I made featuring a Viva Las Vegastamps! original!

I chose this gorgeous dandelion head silhouette:


Product # 14103
1.5" x 1.5"
$6.75 Mounted


I stamped the Dandelion onto a piece of cream cardstock in StazOn Saddle Brown and did a little bit of clipping as I cut it out, not being too fussy on purpose because I want it to stand out! I nabbed some vintage lace, a gorgeous pink and cream patterned paper and I started layering.



For the card base I used the same color cardstock and patterned paper, distressed both with TH Vintage photo distress ink and wrapped with a simple cream colored crochet thread to imitate bakers twine!



I topped off the rosette with an American Crafts pearl brad and strung some pink beads on a dark brown upholstery thread... secured everything with Miracle Tape and VIOLA!

A hint on making the pink rosette... use a scalloped scissor to cut your strip of paper.. scallop OUT on both sides (so that there are BUMPS on the outsides.. not cut IN) and then accordion fold where the scallops meet... make sure it's long enough to fold around and secure onto a piece of cardstock with miracle tape!

You can use all sorts of things to layer, I encourage you to experiment have fun making your own rosette style embellishments.. easier to match colors and you can do all sorts of amazing things with textures, patters and shapes. use feathers, old fabric swatches, recycled cardboard, magazines... they'll all provide amazing different styles to your work! And the stamps are so easy to customize that they are the perfect addition to making your own embelly!!

Thanks for stopping to see what I had to show this week! -DeeDee

3 comments:

Cheryl LIndsay said...

very Nice what a great idea. Your Card is beautiful!

Stampo said...

Very original... had never thought of doing that. Thanks.

Purnima said...

I love what you did with the dandelion stamp! It gives such lacy fireworks pizzaz to the rosette! The card is gorgeous!!