Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Steampunk Balloon in Houndstooth

Close-up
 

Supplies:
Paper Towel used to blot up Tim Holtz Distress Stains
Pilot FriXion Color-Pencil-Like Erasable Gel Ink Pens-Orange, Cherry Pink, Yellow Ochre,  Tea Brown, 
White Gel pen
Tag-Black
Decoupage medium
Water mister



A while back I won this marvelous houndstooth ribbon from May Arts.  I knew I wanted to use it as a background, but it took me a while to figure out how.  It shouldn't have taken so long.  The technique is easy-peasy and I've used it before.  Sometimes, these things just don't click until suddenly they do, lol!

I keep the paper towels that I use to blot or clean up any paint, dye or ink.  I misted one I'd used to blot up some Tim Holtz Distress Stains to blend the colors a little more. Paper towels usually have layers, so I separated the top layer and put the second layer aside for another project.

I stamped my Steampunk Balloon Ship onto the paper towel, flipped it over and added Miracle Tape to the back.  After cutting the ribbon into three pieces that fit the section of the tag to be covered, I used more Miracle tape to adhere it to the tag.  Then I adhered the stamped paper towel over the ribbon.  The ribbon has a nylon edge.  I fit the paper towel inside those edges and I trimmed off some for the top and bottom so it framed the image.

Very carefully, so as not to tear,  I colored the image with the gel pens.  I didn't try to get very dark color because the paper towel was too fragile.

Then I covered the entire front of the tag with soft gel medium (any decoupage medium would do).  This not only protected the paper towel from future tearing, it made it semi-transparent so the houndstooth design shows through.  The black tag became glossy, resembling black metal.  

To finish off, I took the longer piece of ribbon and tied a bow at the top. 

And remember that second layer of paper towel?

I adhered it to a Kraft cardstock tag and stamped it.  I haven't decided what I'll do with it yet, though I think it will end up as part of a journaling spread.




Check out the VLVS! Store for all your stamping needs and the  VLVS! Blog for new projects and news every day. Follow VLVS! as the VLVS! Forum - VLVS! FB - VLVS! Pinterest - VLVS! Twitter.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Very cool technique. I never thought to reuse my blotter towels.