Friday, September 05, 2014

Guest Designer Marilyn Hughes

Today we have Guest Design Team Member MARILYN HUGHES joining us :) 



I'm a 45-year old married mother of one living in southeast Louisiana.  I work full time as an Assistant Director of Facility Services for an internationally renown research center, but spend all my weekends in my studio where I create a wide range of mixed media projects ranging from ATCs to Tags to Journal pages and beyond.  My studio is a converted 10x20 metal storage building that sits in my backyard until a large oak tree (I'm currently campaigning for a larger, better studio).  Not only do I like to play with stamps, paints, and paper, but I am a voracious reader; my Nook is my constant companion.  
You may have seen my projects over on Gauche Alchemy where I am a dt member or on Basically Bare and Art Anthology where I am the Coordinator.  Being a guest designer for Viva Las VegaStamps! is a dream come true and I'm very thankful that DeeDee has given me this opportunity.

If you would like to see more of my work, you can visit my blog, Tarnished Rose, at www.dollsetc.blogspot.com.
 
 
Hi everyone! It's a Happy Day for me today.  I'm doing the Snoopy Dance because I get to be the Guest Designer on VLVS! for September!  So today, for your viewing pleasure, I've got three projects for you; two ATCs and a journal page.  For the ATCs, I was working with a monochromatic color palette, not the easiest thing in the world.

Other Supplies:
Art Anthology Sandcastle, Salted Caramel, and Cinnamon Twist Colorations,Art Anthology Splashed Sorbet, Tim Holtz Layering Stencils Chevron, Sepia Archival Ink

For "The Road" ATC, I sprayed the background with a combination of the three mists, going lightest to dark, saving the the darkest one (Cinnamon Twist) to spray through my Chrevron stencil to give me a line of chevrons across the top.  I then stamped the Sunflowers in sepia archival ink directly onto the card.  The dragonflies were stamped onto white cardstock, sprayed with the darkest brown of my mists, cut out, and then painted with Art Anthology Sorbet to give them sparkle.  
 


​Stamps Used:

Other Supplies:
Distress Stain Squeezed Lemonade, Distress Ink Mustard Seed, Tim Holtz Layering Stencil Dot Fade, Glitter Dome Stickers

For my sunny Chemistry ATC, I drug my card through a puddle of Squeezed Lemonade Distress Stain and then inked on the dots using the Dot Fade Stencil.  I stamped the DNA Strand, Chemistry 101, Books, & Mouse in Hole in Mustard Seed ink directly onto the card.  Taking some Glitter Dome stickers, I highlighted all the circles in the DNA Strand to make them stand out and give the card dimension.  I then stamped and cut out the Chemistry 101 and Set of Books from cardstock, inked around the edges, then added popup dots to the back to make them stand out, placing them over the previously stamped images. 

And finally, just for fun (and for a lovely journal swap hosted by VLVS!) I completed the following journal spread:

 

Stamps Used:

Other Supplies:
Art Anthology Salted Caramel Colorations, Art Anthology Mardi Gras Velvet, Shaved Ice, Fresco Flakes
TCW Sketch Grid 12 x 12, Tim Holtz Layering Stencil Dot Fade, Liquitex Bead Gel Medium, Distress Markers, UmWowStudio Flair, UmWow Daisy
 
 
I threw a lot at this page, but the Dr. Who stamp is on one of my favorite and to me, it's a visual representation of my stenciled statement, that "You really can do whatever your want".  

Thank you for having me!
Until later...................
Smiles~
Marilyn

No comments: