Thursday, May 11, 2017

Mixed Media Art Journal: Persistence by Cheetarah

Hi all, it's Cheetarah here today and I would like to show you this art journal page I made recently with by now my fave stamps from the new releases at VLVS! The Leaf Lady is just so gorgeous, I've absolutely fallen in love with this stamp!! I had made an art postcard which I showed you last time and based on that design I made a bigger journal layout you see above. The size is about to fit an A5 journal. I used a lot of different media for this page and as usual a full list of stamps and media used is at the bottom of this post. First let me tell you how I created this journal page. 

To get the texture you see on the background, I used a bunch of left over pieces from Tim Holtz Mixed Media dies. I just stuck them on with matte medium and then used white gesso to create a starting base. To create the first layer of color, I sprinkled some Lindy's Magical Shakers in Guten Tag Teal, Bavarian Blue, Polka Purle and Yodeling yellow over the page and spritzed it with water. It gave a beautiful shimmering base. Then I went to dry brush some Deco Art Media antiquing green patina and metallic gold over the textured aria's to create some dimension. The specimen butterflies were stamped with Staz-On Royal purple on a piece of gelli printed deli paper which I adhered with liquitex gloss varnish. The Gelli paper gets a nice gloss and turns transparent so you get the design visible over your background. I stuck a few pieces of the gelli paper randomly on the page with the gloss varnish. I also stamped the butterflies randomly on the page with a darker blue color. The sentiment "Nevertheless, she persisted" was stamped on a trim of the background and I colored the edges with chipped sapphire distress crayon and antique bronze distress stain. It's popped up with foam tape. 

A close up on the texture of the background. I colored the leaf lady and doodle leaf the same way I did with the Art postcard, so with alcohol markers, but I also spattered the DecoArts Media patina Green and gold metallic over her hair to create more interest and texture. 

Before I adhered the page to my journal I added pops of color with Caran d'Ache neopastels (oil pastels) in turquoise and yellow.  A mixed media tip for you; if you have sealed your piece (like I did) with a varnish (I used the Liquitex gloss varnish) and you use oil pastels over it, you can use your heat gun to slightly heat up the oil pastels. The varnish protects the layers below it and the oil pastels turn a bit more liquid and you can easily smooth out the colors over your page with your fingers and not have streaky lines. 
Lastly I rubbed some distress stain antique bronze on the edges to frame the piece and called the page done! 

Hope this inspired you to create some texture with your left over pieces from your die cuts :) 

VLVS! used:

Others: 
Lindy's Magical Shakers in Guten Tag Teal, Bavarian Blue, Polka Purle and Yodeling yellow
Alcohol markers (Letraset promarkers) 
Die cut left overs & gelli printed paper
Distress stain antique bronze 
Distress crayon chipped Sapphire
Staz-on midnight blue, teal, jet black, royal purple
Caran d'Ache Neopastels 
DecoArt Media paints; Antiquing green Patina, Metallic Gold 
Foam Tape
Liquitex Gloss Varnish

Thank you for stopping by and have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

froebelsternchen said...

WOW... a wonderful spread!

Mixedmediajenn said...

Oh this is super cool! I love her!